Friday, April 1, 2011

Spring Break (Day #9)

Today started out as another good day. Maddy's eyes continued to feel better today. (The eye doctor did finally stop by this evening and checked out her eyes. He said that they just needed time to heal from the affects of the chemo.) Maddy was also up and active today. She was determined to learn how to French Braid her doll's hair this morning. We watched some videos on You Tube, and Pam (one of the oncology nurses) showed her how to do it. She practiced all morning. Then we had Subway for lunch thanks to Miss Heckel and Mrs. Buehrer. (Maddy is definitely getting tired of the hospital food.) In the afternoon, Maddy played on her iPad and did some school work (meanie Mom). Then Dad and Julia showed up to visit.

The day didn't end as well though. Maddy's hemoglobin and platelet counts dropped significantly overnight, so she had to get a red blood cell and platelet transfusion today. They started with the red blood cells. After this transfusion, her blood pressure shot up, so they had to give her blood pressure medicine and lasix. Then they gave her the platelets and just as the transfusion was completed, Maddy mentioned her head was itchy. We looked and she had hives starting to appear. This is the first time she has had an allergic reaction to a transfusion before. So... They had to give her Benadryl and monitor her breathing. Needless to say, the Benadryl knocked her out. She is now sleeping peacefully.

Never a dull moment!

P.S.- Maddy received a card from a friend of a friend today. In the card, the friend mentioned a song that she said reminded her of Maddy. We listened to it and we agree. It was a good day to hear this song and remind us that we are not alone- that God is watching over us. We thought we would share:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgojag_mandisa-stronger-slideshow-with-lyrics_music

4 comments:

  1. Hey Maddy,

    I just listened to the song "Stronger" by Mandisa. I agree with whoever sent you the card...it seems like Mandisa wrote that song just for you. A couple years ago I was at a women's retreat and Mandisa was there to sing. She was AWESOME!! I really enjoyed listening to her sing. Maybe you'll have to download that song on your IPad.

    Hope you head isn't itchy anymore! Have another good day tomorrow! Praying that the nasty shot goes better tomorrow!!

    Have you been playing with talking bacteria?? Bet most people reading this won't know what I am talking about! :)

    Love you lots!
    Mrs. Buehrer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Maddy,

    That Mandisa song was great! Thanks to you and your mom for sharing. You are such a strong girl! Keep listening to this song to remind you of that! We're praying for you everyday! We can't wait for you to be home and feeling lots better!

    Did you pull any pranks for April Fools? We tried to tell Mrs. Conway that Archbold was getting a Taco Bell, but she figured out that it was an April Fools! Shucks!

    Talk to you soon!
    Mrs. Hurst

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kiddo and Mom/Dad and Julia,

    I sure hope today was a good day! The sun is shining this afternoon but it sure is cold. Miss Hurst is home from Florida and now in Chicago. I can't wait to see her on Monday because she is suppose to be bringing sunshine and WARM weather for YOU and me! What do you think? I bet she won't have it!!!!! :(

    I love the Mandisa song. It's a perfect fit for you. I have another song I love to listen to in the morning, "Lord, I Hope This Day is Good" ----- I usually sing along with it and whenever it says 'Plan a good day for me' I sing MADDY instead of singing 'me'. I sing it extra loud if no one is around! :) Mrs. Hill would laugh at me!

    I sure hope tomorrow is another good day. Are those counts coming up at all yet? It sure takes time and patience. Keep up the good work!!! Hope to see you again soon!

    Love and prayers!
    Cindy Heckel

    P.S. Even if it was cold quite a few people stepped up to bat between games in your honor! The event was called "Strike Out Cancer". $45.00 was collected for Relay! Lots of people care about you Maddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maddy and Lamberts,

    I just listened to Mandisa's song "Stronger" and I think it is a great song for you! I believe you are a very STRONG little girl and I believe God is with you and your family every single day!

    Miss Heckel did ask me to bring some sunshine home from Florida for you! We will see if it followed me home this week! I hope and pray that everything keeps going well for you and we might possibly get to skype this week. I hope mom didn't make you do too much school work over spring break. :-)

    We are going to be learning about ants this week. I have a couple of projects to send with mom that you might like to do. We are even going to have an "ants" treat at the end of the week. We will definitely send some to share with you! (Hopefully you will be home by then)

    Thinking and praying for you every single day! Oh yeah, I have a quick question for you.
    Why doesn’t the sun want to go to college?

    Because it already has a million degrees!

    Love,
    Miss Hurst

    ReplyDelete