Wednesday, February 6, 2013

One Day At a Time

The author of a book on grieving I am reading said-  When you lose a parent, you lose your past.  When you lose a child, you lose your future.  Right now, that is what is so hard to think about- the future.  I find myself thinking I can make it through a day and then I start to think about the future.  Don't get me wrong- I still have moments when I feel guilty and angry about things I should have done differently in the past, but it is when I let myself think about tomorrow, or Maddy's birthday, or the holidays, or ....  that I get overcome with sadness.  The "experts" say to take it one day at a time.  I guess that is good, because I can't manage more than that.

I found this poem and it seems so appropriate and so like something Maddy would call me out on!


Ask My Mom How She Is

My Mom, she tells a lot of lies,
She never did before.
But from now until she dies,
She'll tell a whole lot more.

Ask my Mom how she is
And because she can't explain,
She will tell a little lie
Because she can't describe the pain.

Ask my Mom how she is,
She'll say "I'm alright."
If that's the truth, then tell me,
why does she cry each night?

Ask my Mom how she is,
She seems to cope so well.
She didn't have a choice you see,
Nor the strength to yell.

Ask my Mom how she is,
"I'm fine, I'm well, I'm coping."
For God's sake Mom, just tell the truth,
Just say your heart is broken.

She'll love me all her life,
I loved her all of mine.
But if you ask her how she is,
She'll lie and say she's fine.

I am Here in Heaven.
I cannot hug from here.
If she lies to you don't listen,
Hug her and hold her near.

On the day we meet again,
We'll smile and I'll be bold.
I'll say, "You're lucky to get in here, Mom,
With all the lies you told!"

-Unknown

10 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and continually uplifting you in prayer. Love, the DeLongs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying and laughing at the same time... I love the last verse. It's ok to lie sometimes, but Maddy would want you to know that it's ok to say that you're not OK, to ask for a hug, or just take it a day at time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the poem, oh so true. I echo Michele's words, it is ok to allow the friends and family that love you, to give you a hug or just go for a walk together. I know that sometimes opening the door just that little crack seems to painful, I hope your friends and family will just take the first step for you and give you that hug. Praying for strength and peace for you one day at a time.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for continuing to write. I check this every day. The poem seems so true! We continue to pray for your family and pray for the moments that are overwhelming. The Lillys

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you often and continuing to pray for you every day. Love and many hugs, Christi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you and thankful you keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm crying, yet laughing. Sounds like an absolute perfect poem. Hugs, love and prayers from my family to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dorothy this is perfect. I am so appreciative of your honesty. The reality of death is so beautiful for Maddy but leaves such a empty place here where we all think she should still be. However I also know that trust is not a natural response especially when we go through tough times as you have. I continue to pray that you can continue to lean on the only true One we can trust through all of this. Maddy and her influence here on earth is such a true sense of her love for others, may you find some peace today knowing how much she has touched and continues to touch others. Hugs Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely still praying for you and you are in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can just hear Maddy saying the last line...it sounds just like her. Thinking of you all everyday. Hugs...
    Jen

    ReplyDelete