Friday, June 17, 2011

Decision

We have had some friends and family ask, so we thought we would let everyone know that we have decided to have Maddy continue with the chemotherapy protocol instead of going for a bone marrow transplant.  This was a very difficult decision-  one that we put off as long as possible.  Now that the decision has been made, we are looking forward and praying for continued strength.

The decision to continue with chemo is a two year commitment consisting of the following:

Intensification 1 (4 cycles of chemo lasting three weeks each)
Reinduction (1 cycle of chemo lasting five weeks)
Intensification 2 (4 cycles of chemo lasting six weeks each)
Maintenance (5 cycles of chemo lasting 10 weeks each plus radiation)

This should take us to around March 2013.  Maddy is scheduled for a bone marrow aspirate on Monday and if her counts are good, she will start the first cycle of the Intensification 1 phase.


On another note, our family has signed up to walk at a Cure Search event to raise money for childhood cancer research.  The walk is Saturday, July 30,2011 at Pacesetter Park in Sylvania Ohio.  Registration/check in is at 8:30 am and opening ceremony and walk is at 9:30 am.



CureSearch is the ONLY research facility that contributes directly to the protocols and treatments of over 80% of all children that are battling cancer. It is also the only one that is exclusivly researching childhood cancers. 96% of all donations go directly towards research with only 4% administrative.  If interested, you can check out the event at www.curesearchwalk.org/toledo.  Our family joined the "DreamMakers" team with the Mercy Group.  
We hope everyone enjoys this beautiful weekend!  Happy Father's Day to all those dads out there!

3 comments:

  1. I'm planning on doing that walk, too! It was great seeing you guys twice this week! No more bugs, but we have some bad gas coming from the pooch now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your help today Maddy. You are so smart! Hope you had fun at the game! See you soon!
    Stay brave and strong next week! I know you will!
    Love you,
    Mrs. Buehrer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maddy- I have never met you, but I have been praying for you so much!!!! Mrs. Buehrer is my sister, and I live in Bryan, OH. I have been following your blog for some time now, and you are such an amazing girl!!! You are so courageous and strong---and I know that God is with you and helping you to stay strong! I just wanted to say "Hi" and to let you know that I am praying for you, along with so many other people who care about you. I wanted to meet you at Relay for Life last weekend, but I was sick, so I could not come that night. I saw the great photos your mom posted on your blog--looks like you had so much fun that night!! I bought one of the lime green ABC 4 Maddy T-shirts, and I think of you each time I wear it. What a great color - I love lime green too!!! Praying for you in Bryan, OH!!!! Pam Roth

    ReplyDelete