Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Another Delay

Maddy was supposed to start the second chemo cycle of four on Tuesday after having many delays. Her counts finally made it, but she had been having some episodes the last two weeks where she would get chills, run a low grade fever, have a headache, and eventually would vomit. When we got to the hospital on Tuesday to start chemo, we went over what had been happening again with the doctors. To make a long story short, the symptoms she was having were due to an infection in her central lines. Everytime her lines were flushed after blood draws, the bacteria was pushed into her system. Luckily, the bacteria she has is very treatable with antibiotics, so that is what they are doing now. Hopefully, her cultures will start coming back negative and we will be able to come home in a day or two and finish up the antibiotics at home. Then she will have to go back to the hospital to start the next cycle of treatment when the infection is taken care of.


To add to all of this, my (Dorothy's) grandmother passed away this morning. She passed peacefully in her sleep. Something we are all grateful for.


Thanks again to everyone for all of your thoughts and prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Miss Maddy

    You are loved and prayed for often by so many. May you feel the Lord near you and may He keep you brave and strong as you get over this infection and on with your treatments. Here is a Bible verse that means a lot to me:
    Joshua 1:9

    9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”

    It helped me today as I went to have two wisdom teeth pulled. I was dreading it but I got focused on Jesus' promises and I was able to do it. My granddaughter Ella asked me if they would grow back in! When you are 5 1/2, it's important to get your teeth back! Ha Ha!

    Hang in there Maddy. You can do it! I believe in YOU!!!

    Love
    Mrs. Hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Maddy's line infection. I so hope that they can sort it out and that Maddy gets home soon.
    Very sorry to hear about your grandmother too, Dorothy.
    Hugs to you all,
    Bridget

    ReplyDelete