Sunday, January 10, 2010

Grateful Journal

It was Sunday evening and I was sitting around deciding whether or not I had anything important to post on the blog. This past week was pretty uneventful. It was almost normal. I really did not think I had anything important to tell and then I remembered a letter I had received back in November when we began our journey from my friend and colleague, Joyce. She prayed that we would experience God's presence every day and reminded us to look for Him in the little things that just happen to work for the good. She said she records those things she is grateful for as a reminder of how good God is and how He is constantly taking care of her and making His presence known. God has certainly made His presence known to us these last couple of months and so I thought I would record a few of the things we are grateful for this week.

Maddy still can't go to school, but with Miss Heckel's help, she Skyped a majority of each day this week. We are grateful that Maddy is able to continue to be a part of her first grade class. Maddy still does not have any hair, but she does not even let it phase her. Last Sunday, Maddy announced that she was going to show her classmates her head since they hadn't seen it yet. So, all week, Maddy Skyped without a hat on her head. We are grateful that Maddy is self-confident and courageous. Maddy's strength is what has gotten her Dad and me through these last couple of months. (Pretty impressive for a six year old!) Maddy is handling the current medication she is taking with minimal side effects. We are grateful that God has given the researchers and doctors the knowledge they need to fight this cancer. Since Maddy's counts were still good this week, our family went out to eat supper along with Miss Heckel on Friday. We saw her classmate, Mason leaving the restaurant. He gave her a big hug. We are grateful for the time we were able to spend together with Miss Heckel and for the continued unconditional love of her friends. Maddy had fun going sledding this weekend. We are grateful for the beautiful snow and sunny skies this weekend. Maddy and Julia picked on each other a lot this week. We are grateful that they have each other to pick on. Finally, Maddy continued to receive gifts, cards, thoughts and prayers this week. We are truly grateful for all the support and love we have received since this journey began.

My prayer is that everyone is able to experience God's presence every day and that everyone is able to take the time to be grateful.

12 comments:

  1. Dear Lamberts,
    I consider it such a blessing and privilege to be part of your journey with Maddy. I know you would never choose to be in this situation; however your strength, your courage and your positive attitudes is very inspiring and such a positive example for everyone. With all my heart I wish that I could change all of this.I honestly do wish I could trade places with Maddy. I so much want Maddy to be sitting at her desk in first grade but I guess we have to accept the circumstances and make the very best of them. You know that I know exactly what Maddy is going through and I think I am also learning a bit about what you as parents are going through as well. Please promise me you will let me know whenever there is something I can do for you! I want to help!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks for calling to go to supper last Friday. I do think it was a 'God-thing' that Mason was there.

    God is Good all the time, all the time God is Good!

    Love and Prayers for ALL of you, Cindy or 'Miss Heckel' to Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddy, Russ, Dorothy, and Julia -

    You are a blessing and an inspiration to me every day!

    I continue to pray for the Lord to protect Maddy and comfort you all during this time. I am thankful that through it all you are able to see the blessings!!

    Love always,
    Aunt "Leshie"/Sis/Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the Lambert family,
    You are such an encouragement to me and so many others as you go through this difficult time. Thanks for reminding all of us to look for God at work in our lives. I'm so glad Maddy and the rest of you had a good week. I continue to pray for healing and peace and strength for your family. JoAnne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! One of the things hat has changed for me after Isaac's illness, is that I do not take my kids or their health for granted. Life is so incredibly fragile and precious! WHen Isaac has a temper tantrum, I am so thankful that he can scream! :)! Like you are grateful for the girls quarreling. Thank you for reminding me AGAIN to love on the kids tonight and to be thankful for God's presence in the big and little things! Peace to the Lamberts. You continue to be in our prayers!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maddy,
    We switched desks today and I am at your table. I wish you were here because I have to sit with all boys. I am glad that I get to see you a lot on Skype. You look really pretty :) Do you like your Wii? Maybe we can play together sometime.
    Love Megan:)

    Thank you for reminding me to appreciate my kids everyday and to be thankful for them even when they are fighting. Our prayers are always with you.
    Mary Waidelich

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your update. I'm sure God is pleased to see your expressions of gratitude and a good reminder for us all. I check your blog almost daily and was pleased to see a new entry! I like to think no news is good news but it is just so neat that you let us be connected to your family in such a personal way. How wonderful you were able to spend time with Miss Heckel and that Maddy got to see Mason.
    None of us were promised an easy life but help to live it no matter what comes our way. We have had and do have many in our midst that are undergoing trials and you all are being such role models of the way Christ would have us live. Maddy is such a great little trooper. I pray God continues to give her the strength, courage and comfort and healing she needs for each day. May He also give Russ, Dorothy and Julia all they need to be there for Maddy AND each other. Much love, Mrs. Hill (Aliese)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maddy!

    We had our first basketball practice/game tonight. I'm on the white team again, just like we were last year. I remember your Daddy being our coach last year. We had fun.

    I hope you feel good this week. I wanted you to know I thought about you tonight. I wish we could Skype basketball and you could play with us like you get to be a part of your class.

    We miss you at school, and we keep praying for you!

    Love,
    Wade Leatherman

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's truly a blessing to me to read how you see God's hand at work even in these tough times- but then again, maybe that's when we see God's hand the best in our lives. Your post reminded me to listen to that Point of Grace song "How You Live" (Turn Up the Music); you might enjoy hearing it too. I pray for another uneventful week for you all and miracles for Maddy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Maddy,

    Like Wade said, we had our first basketball game last night. I was thinking about you too. We missed you.
    That is cool that you got to see Mason at Mancino's. I like seeing you on skype. I pray for you every night.

    Here's a joke:
    what do eggs and losing teams have in common?
    they both get beaten.
    Love, Liam

    Dear Lamberts,
    What a gift to appreciate the simple things in life. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. You are all so amazing. We continue to pray for you.
    -The Row Clan

    ReplyDelete
  10. In tears w/ many prayers & praises & thanking God for each of you. Sharing God w/ others in many ways. What a blessing! You are an inspiration to us :D The Lord bless you & keep you; The Lord turn his face toward you & give you peace. In Christ Sybil

    ReplyDelete
  11. We continue to pray for your entire family. We are asking others to pray for Maddy, too. We are glad you had a nice Christmas. Let us know if we can do anything for you. Thank you for sharing on this blog. Your neighbors, The Leschinski's

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am grateful to be able to keep up with Maddy's progress through your blog. You probably don't even know how much comfort you bring so many people who care for you by posting as often as you do. It keeps us from the wondering and worrying that goes along with not knowing. Thank you, Dorothy. You are loved. Rhonda W.

    ReplyDelete