Friday, February 11, 2011

Feisty Girl

Maddy has had a rough couple of days. It started yesterday with having her first treatment of the new induction cycle. We no more than got home when Maddy spiked a fever of 102-103 and had to go back to the hospital last night. When she arrived at the hospital, the nurses tried to access her port. Three nurses later and a half hour of "torture" for Maddy AND Russ, they were not successful. From talking to Russ, it sounds like our usually quiet and shy little girl told the nurses exactly what she thought about the whole process! Neither Maddy or Russ got any sleep during the night. Then this morning Marcy, one of the nurses from the clinic, came over to the hospital to try her luck at accessing Maddy's port. This was another "torture" session with Maddy's feisty side coming out, but eventually was successful. Julia and I arrived at the hospital after school to find a VERY exhausted little girl and her very exhausted dad. At this moment, Maddy is finally sleeping peacefully- except for when the alarms go off on her IV machine...

She is now scheduled to have surgery to put in a new type of port on Monday. We are hopeful this will eliminate some stress for her! For now, she is just hanging out at the hospital so they can monitor her temperature.

10 comments:

  1. Poor little girl!!! I am glad she is now resting peacefully and maybe Russ can get some sleep too. I hope you all have a nice and relatively quiet weekend. I will be thinking and praying for you all weekend long. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still praying and praying! I sure hope things are better with the new port! I do hope Maddy and the rest of you can get some much needed rest! Let me know if you need anything. I want to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. We will pray that the new port will be very successful and Maddy and you all won't have to endure any more unnecessary torture. I don't blame her for telling them how the cow ate the cabbage! Also praying for the fever to break.
    Hang in there Maddy Patty. Ask your Mom to post a picture of you with your quilt from school. I'd love to see it and YOU!!!
    Love
    Mrs. Hill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for strength, comfort, and rest for your entire family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Miss Maddy! I am sorry you had such a rotten day! I hope tomorrow will be lots better! I am sure accessing your port was NO FUN and it stinks they couldn't make it easier on you. I think the new port they put in Monday will be LOTS better! I am sure you are glad to have Julia there with you. I told her after school to be nice to you and not beat you up and she told me that YOU beat her up. I just can't believe that! She must have made that story up. You are too sweet! Hang in there kiddo! Hope to see you soon!
    Love,
    Mrs. Buehrer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Maddy,
    Hang in there! I hope today is a much better day. I hope you can get some rest this weekend. We will continue to pray that each day will get better. Hopefully the new port will make things a lot easier for you. Lane said a special prayer for you last night. "Dear God, thank you for helping Maddy." Just remember a lot of people are thinking about you and praying for you all the time!!
    Love,
    Mrs. Biederstedt

    ReplyDelete
  7. KNow that the Reicherts are praying for you every day!!! I know form experience those port sessions can be awful. I hope they get it all straightened out FAST!!!!! We carry you in our hearts every day!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was sorry to here of Maddy's relapse. My family continues to pray for her full recovery. Praying that here surgery goes well on Monday and that she can rest comfortably. We know that she is in good hands,the nurses and Doctors at St. V's are one in a million, as far as we are concerned. Continue to seek the Lord in everything, He can give you peace.

    Kim Kinsman

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for you all.....

    And Maddy, you keep being FIESTY!!!

    The Conways

    ReplyDelete