Friday, February 4, 2011

Relapse

Yesterday, February 3, 2011, Maddy went for her monthly chemo treatment and a spinal tap. Upon testing, the doctors found leukemia cells in Maddy's spinal fluid. We went back to the hospital today for further tests of her bone marrow. They are thinking right now that Maddy has an “Isolated Relapse of the Central Nervous System”- leukemia cells in her spinal fluid. The first look at Maddy’s bone marrow was good, but they are still running further tests to see if there are cancer cells in her marrow. Either way, we are looking at three, one month chemotherapy blocks. The first being similar to what she has done in the past, the last two being extremely intense. From there, we have decisions to make whether to continue chemo and radiation or do a bone marrow transplant. This decision is influenced by whether her big sis,Julia, is a match or not. Julia will be tested next week.

We start treatment on Wednesday of next week, so we are headed home for now. We are going to try to have a "normal" weekend and hopefully get Maddy in to see her classmates one more time before she starts treatment. It is like we are starting all over again! Two more years of treatment, no school, no hair... our hearts are breaking!


9 comments:

  1. Our hearts are breaking for you! Praying for supernatural peace and trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no words....sending prayers for strength, trust and courage.


    The Conway Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying, praying, praying! I won't stop! I told Maddy I wouldn't take her green bracelet off until she is 100% cured, and I haven't taken it off yet. Guess I will just have to wear it a little longer! Love you Maddy! Hang in there everyone.
    Love,
    Mrs. Buehrer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I have been thinking about all of you every minute today!!! I will NOT stop praying!!!!! Whatever you need, please please ask! I am still wearing my bracelet too and I will not take it off. I'll see you all soon! Love, Miss Heckel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for your family!!!!!
    Jeramiah 29:11
    "For I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Miss Maddy and family,
    I have been thinking about you all day! I missed your beautiful smile that lights up our room. I am praying with all my heart for you and your family! Even though this is a scary time, I know that you are a brave and courageous little girl! I know that your family is very loving and caring and they will help you through this every step of the way! I can't wait for your visit next week! Take care!

    Love,
    Miss Hurst

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you, Mom, Dad and Julia! We love you all. Let us know if you need ANYTHING! We are there. Stay strong!

    Isaiah 41:10 Don’t you be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. Yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness.

    God is with you every step of the way!

    Todd, Christi, Brodie, and Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of thoughts and prayers for a special little girl and her family. God is good! He will get you all through this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard the news today. You are in my thoughts and prayers. (((Hugs))) to you all. God can do amazing things - I can't wait to see what He'll do for Maddy.

    ReplyDelete