Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spring Break (Day #3)

What a day... Russ started getting a scratchy throat last night, so he left the hospital last night to get away from Maddy.  He made a doctor's appointment today to make sure he didn't have strep or something.  (He doesn't have strep, but probably has a little virus which still isn't good when your child has no immune system.)

Maddy finished up her last dose of chemo early in the morning.  She woke up with a belly ache and was worrying about the shot she was going to have to have.  After all the worrying-  a little numbing cream, a little ice, and a very loud scream later and it was done.  Maddy was brave as usual.   We just wish she didn't have so much to worry about.  It is so hard not knowing what to say to her or how to make her feel better.  As parents, we feel so helpless!

Maddy felt a little better after her shot was over.  We were able to do some crafts and her mean mom made her do some math homework.  She then started to get tired, so she got snuggled in bed.  I put the call button by her so I could step out to get a drink from the lounge down the hall.  One minute later, when I got back to the room, Maddy was laying in bed covered in puke.  She just looked at me and said, "I couldn't get to the call button."  After a little chaos, the nurse cleaned up the bed while I cleaned up Maddy.  The only good thing about the whole ordeal was that Maddy got to take a nice warm shower since we were going to have to change her dressing anyway.  (We then bagged up her "chunky" clothes and blankets for Dad to take care of when he got to the hospital : )

The doctor then stopped in to see Maddy right after the puking episode.  She told us that Maddy's platelets were so low that she needed a platelet transfusion.  She then reminded us that she would need to stay in the hospital until her counts rebounded- about 14 days!  What happened to 10 days??????  The number keeps going up!

The rest of the day was a little better.  Maddy was finally able to take a nap.  Dad and Julia made it to the hospital and did a load of clothes and blankets.  Maddy woke up and played a little with her sister and ate a little supper.  Maddy then started to get a little anxious and uncomfortable, so the nurse gave her a little "happy juice" and she is now sleeping peacefully.

P.S.- I forgot to tell you the topper of the day. Our friends made us a pie. Russ brought it to the hospital for us to eat and put it in the refrigerator in the Family Lounge along with some of our pop and other food labeled with our name and room number. A couple of hours later, I went to get the pie to have it with supper and it was gone along with our pop! Someone took our pie! : ( No pie for us!!!! A perfect ending to a perfect day!


 

 

7 comments:

  1. Dear Miss Maddy,

    Wow, it sounds like Saturday was quite a day! You sure kept everyone very busy! Maddy you just keep screaming at this ugly leukemia! You are full of so much courage and spunk! Keep up the good fight and I know you are going to win! Tonight I will pray for a restful / peaceful night for everyone. I think of you many, many times everyday!!!!!! You are loved so much by so many people! I hope to be able to see you soon.

    Love and Prayers,
    Miss Heckel, also known as 'Grandma Cindy Lou'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know that the prayers keep coming!!! Sounds like a long day yesterday!Let's hope today is better and those counts speed up so Maddy can come home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi----I sure hope today is a better day! I prayed hard for Maddy and all of you in church this morning. Now I know this isn't very nice but I hope whoever ate your pie and drank your pop got a gigantic stomach ache! What is your favorite kind of pie? I'll bring you another one!!!! Take care and we'll get in touch soon!

    Hang in there! Love, Miss Heckel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they could check security cameras to see who the thief is! I mean really, maybe check for DNA that was left behind?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dor - thanks for all the updates!! Sorry your spring "break" is gonna be longer than expected! Thankful for Maddy's "happy juice" as I know I'd want some if I were her!!
    You guys need your own mini-fridge or cooler for Maddy's room there so you do not lose anymore food nor drink!!

    Love ya,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Maddy- You have been on my mind and after catching up on your blog, I know why. Some days are just yucky and this day can't get much yuckier! We will be praying for you in the days ahead- may those 14 days go quickly. Be a warrior Maddy! All our love- The Warners

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maddy and Family-
    I'm so sad that Saturday was such a yucky day! We've been praying for you everyday, and we know that there are better days coming! Shame on those pie thieves!! What's your favorite kind of pie, Maddy? We'll make you one too!!!
    Love,
    The Hursts

    ReplyDelete