Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Break (Day #5)

Today had it's ups and downs! I think I will start with the ups:

With the help of the blood pressure medicine, Maddy's blood pressure came down. She had a good night of sleep. She woke up and had her ultra-sound of her kidneys. (I didn't realize how nervous I was until I was in the room with her watching the screen as the technician did the test. I instantly got sick to my stomach just thinking about the idea that there could be something wrong with Maddy's kidneys). Fortunately, we did not have to wait long to find out that her kidneys are functioning properly. They are attributing her high blood pressure to the variety of other "stuff" going on with her and they feel that it will eventually correct itself. Until then, they will control it with medication.

Another up- My friends Deb and Cindy rescued me for a couple of hours and took me to lunch. It was good to get out of the hospital for a little while. Thanks Deb and Cindy! I did have strict instructions from Maddy to come back though. Her dad took a little offense to this... : )

The sun was also shining today. It just makes me feel better to have the sun out even if it is still cold.

Now for the downs:

Maddy woke up saying her eyes hurt when she tried to open them. As a result, Maddy basically kept her eyes closed ALL day- most of the time sleeping with her blankets pulled up over her head. Every once in awhile, she would wake up and scream that her eyes hurt and we would put a wet wash cloth over them. We haven't figured out what is going on. If it is not better tomorrow, I will be a little more persistent to figure it out.

Maddy also got her daily shot and again was not happy about it. She worried all morning until she got the shot and then worried all day about getting another one tomorrow! (They did use a much smaller needle today though, but Maddy still said it hurt.)

Julia has a cold so can't come visit her sister. I think they miss each other. I will remind them of how much they really do love each other the next time they start fighting! : )


That's about it for today. Maddy just woke up screaming for the washcloth for her eyes...

5 comments:

  1. Dorothy,
    It was good to spend some time with you! I know your days are full of so many ups and downs and this journey may just be the most difficult one you will every have to travel --- I hope so! You seem to handling everything with grace and as well as anyone possibly couldd! You are an inspiration and encouragement to me and lots of other people too. I just wish I could find a way to help make all of this go away for you and Russ and certainly Maddy. Hang in there, and again if you need anything at all please ask.

    Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddy,
    I miss seeing you but have been hearing some good reports from your Mom. Keep up the good work. It's ok to scream when the nurses come around with things you don't like. I so much wish I could take all of this yucky stuff away for you ---- as soon as I figure out how I will let you know!!!!!!

    Hey don't forget that Archbold needs another leukemia survivor and you are going to be the next honored member of that exclusive club! I can hardly wait until this is all over for you and everyone can celebrate. What a party that will be! Hang in there!

    I love my frog door hanger that you made! I hung it on my refrigerator! Everytime I look at it I will be reminded to pray for my special 7 year old friend. THANKS for thinking of me! You are very special to me and lots of other people too!

    God is GOOD all the time; all the time God is GOOD!

    Loads of Love and Prayers,
    Miss Heckel or 'Grandma Cindy Lou'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maddy,

    I hope your eyes are feeling better today! Did the sunglasses help? I agree with Miss Heckel.....you gotta yell once in awhile for everyone to pay attention! They did get you the smaller needle, right?? Well, they wouldn't have if you didn't yell a little. I think you are VERY brave. Hang in there kiddo. I pray for the day this is all over for you and you can come back to school and be that ornery little girl with the twinkle in her eye!

    Thanks for letting your mom get out a little yesterday. We had a good time with her. Maybe we will come get her again later this week if it is ok with you. We won't keep her too long....promise!

    Thank your mom for updating your blog everyday. We all like to know what is going on with you.

    I just picked up another box of ABC 4 Maddy shirts. Dan at Logo This can't believe how many we have sold. You are on the hearts and minds and in the prayers of way over 700 people now! Probably more than that too!

    Hang in there kiddo!

    Love you lots!
    Mrs. Buehrer

    ReplyDelete
  4. ♥ and prayers to you and yours, we are so sorry for your pain. If there is anything we can do we would love to help.

    The Rosales family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maddy & family,

    My first thought when I read your update was Thank you Lord that Maddy's kidney's were OK. Praise God. You are in our thoughts and prayers all the time. Just wanted to share the following with you.
    • On this day, God wants you to know
    ... that everything will be alright. It may seem dark at the moment, but don't lose hope. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel, keep moving and you'll get there. God won't abandon you; let God be your light. It may take some time, but in the end, everything will be alright.

    The Waidelich family

    PS. Maddy, Megan says Hi and she hopes you get to come home soon.

    ReplyDelete